- Provides consistently great tasting water for brewed coffee and tea by reducing sediment and chlorine taste and odor|| Provides consistently great tasting water for brewed coffee and tea by reducing sediment and chlorine taste and odor
- Enhances water clarity for visually appealing iced beverages|| Enhances water clarity for visually appealing iced beverages
- Various models reduce bacteria, cysts, sediment and chlorine taste and odor for effective equipment protection|| Various models reduce bacteria, cysts, sediment and chlorine taste and odor for effective equipment protection
- Reduces chlorine corrosion of metallic components and extends equipment life|| Reduces chlorine corrosion of metallic components and extends equipment life
- Reduces sediment carry over for less equipment down time
We designed the 3M™ HF-S Replacement Filter Cartridge as an NSF certified, single cartridge replacement filter that helps provide consistent high quality water for commercial ice machines, brewed coffee and tea by reducing the effects of cysts, bacteria, sediment and chlorine taste and odor at flow rates to meet the need for commercial uses such as coffee makers and large capacity ice machines.
Our 3M™ HF-S Replacement Filter Cartridges combine chlorine taste and odour reduction with sediment and scale reduction and provide protection from the harmful effects of chlorine corrosion and scale. The cartridges are sanitary by design, to help maintain food service best practices. Our innovative Sanitary Quick Change (SQC™) design is an industry first for this application and allows for fast and easy cartridge change-outs without having to contact the filter media or the need for a filter wrench. The 3M™ High Flow SQC is one of the industry's most advanced water filtration system features, making change-outs fast and with just a 1/4 turn to remove the old and replace the new, minimizing the possibility of leakage and contamination. 3M™ Water Filtration Products Replacement Filter Cartridge, Model HF90-S materials are FDA CRF-21 compliant.*
Some HF-S filters are designed to be 99.99% effective at removing water-borne heterotrophic bacteria and cyst by membrane filtration. With built-in scale inhibition on some models, they also reduce the ability of calcium and magnesium to precipitate on the evaporator plates as hard scale.
Model HF-S Series Best Features
About Carbon Filtration
- Filter cartridges are double O-ring seal type
- System maximum operating pressure of 125 psi (862 kPa) and operating temperature of 100°F (38°C)
- Filter cartridges incorporate carbon block media and scale inhibitor
- Cartridge body is constructed from high-impact glass-filled polypropylene
- Cartridges are sanitary in design, requiring no contact with the filter media during cartridge change-out
- Filter cartridges require no pre-activation
In many filtration applications, carbon is often the preferred media of choice to absorb impurities and one of the most powerful absorbents available. Carbon is highly effective due to the vast surface area contained within a small footprint. One pound of carbon contains a surface area of approximately 100 to 125 acres and can absorb an extremely wide range of chemicals. As effective as carbon is, activated carbon is even more effective. Activated carbon is carbon that has been electro-positively charged to create adsorption. Adsorption is the adhesion of atoms, ions, or molecules from a gas, liquid, or dissolved solid to a surface. This process differs from absorption, where the fluid (absorbate) permeates or is dissolved and held within the filter media. When adsorption is in play, the water, or other fluid to be filtered, passes over the positively charged carbon surface. The negatively charged ions of the contaminants are attracted and held to the surface of the activated carbon particles and effectively removed.
Filters that employ activated carbon are rated by the size of the particles they can remove, as measured in microns. This nominal micron rating can range from 50 microns down to as small as 0.5, more than adequate to remove sediment, chlorine taste and odour, and most common bacteria from pre-filtered water.
Activated carbon filters used for home water treatment typically contain either granular activated carbon (GAC) or powdered block carbon. Both substances are effective, however, carbon block filters are more effective at removing a wider range of contaminants because of the greater surface area of carbon. Common sources for carbon used in water filtration include bituminous, wood, and carbon derived from coconut shells.
Greater Filtration with I.M.P.A.C.T.
Integrated Membrane Pre-Activated Carbon Technology (“I.M.P.A.C.T.”) used in 3M Purification Inc. products combines a pharmaceutical-grade microporous membrane and a pre-activated carbon block in a single cartridge to dramatically reduce pressure drop and practically eliminate the need for pre-filtration. The integrated membrane provides superior sediment holding capabilities while reducing Cryptosporidium and Giardia cysts1 and over 99.99 percent of all water-borne bacteria.2 Pre-activation of the carbon media is not required.
*Surfaces that are in contact with water are FDA CFR-21 Compliant
1 NSF Standard 53
2 As tested with E.coli ATCC (11229)